... and we stole them all. Many interesting nuggets in here. Make sure you follow the man on Twitter.
- Finally playing Monkey 2 SE. I haven't played MI2 since it came out, almost 20 years ago. Hope I can remember some of these puzzles...
- Haha. That opening campfire looks suspiciously familiar! I can't believe we just re-used the lookout fire from Monkey 1. Oh wait, yes I can.
- I think it's even anti-aliased for the old, grey-blue background, but this background is orange. I blame Dave. Because he's not on Twitter.
- Voodoo lady says, "True evil can never be destroyed," because that's what my dad said after we saw Star Wars the first time.
- I was like, "Did Darth die or not?" so he laid that on me. Then he turned off the headlights so we could pretend we were in an X-Wing.
- Whoa. I forgot we put a Hank Plank joke in the cemetery. That's what I wanted to call Guybrush!
- But @grumpygamer said, "No, I have a story about Enhanced DeluxePaint I want to tell for the rest of my life!" :)
- I wrote this entire tweet in the time it took for Guybrush to walk all the way out to Dread's ship.
- I think that potato-peeling chef is the one and only piece of character animation that Peter Chan ever did.
- @LanzAlentzia I'm pretty sure we didn't make a new rat for the men of low moral fiber (pirates).
- Weird. That peg leg polishing scene didn't seem so dirty to me at the time.
- Going back and forth between classic and SE. I like the little details they added, like the frogs, moths, and fish in Woodtick.
- The glow on hot objects would have offended us in 1991, but it looks cool and totally helped me find the knife in the kitchen.
- Another good thing about the special edition: Visible Cheese Squigglies.
- You can tell in the Captain Dread commentary that they gave us beer.
- The painting of the reclining nude over Largo's bed is now a cloudscape. Or was I just imagining the naked lady? As usual?
- Dang. I really need a piece of string or rope, but there's none to be found! Except for in the background art of every shot!
- Found it! Thanks, magic glow! Nice, unnecessary yo-yo reference. We were so into yo-yos back then. That's how cool we were.
- Ha ha. "Well, here's your soup!" I can lol at that line because Dave wrote it, not me.
- Whoa. I just realized I might have stolen the ripped-in-half ship in Grim from Dread's ripped-in-half ship!
- We named Kate Capsize after Spielberg's wife. He called Ron once for a hint, and right when he was about say what he thought of the name...
- ...there was a loud static on the line so we never found out if he was offended or amused. He used to play each game and call for hints.
- I can't believe we got away with a Fred Flintstone costume in the shop. Or at least his lower half. He's even tagged "Caveman Fred!"
- There's Manny Calavera's head in one of Govenor Phatt's paintings! Weird how it makes the original look like a skeleton too.
- I've never actually read all the cards in the Phatt city library. I'm doing it now because there has got to be an achievement for it. Right?
- Omg. No achievement!? Or did I just miss one card? I'll never know. At least, not until I look it up on line.
- How can you say you only have one cannon, when I can clearly see three on the counter?
- It's shameful how many times you hear the default examine response in this game. "Nice!" I am ashamed. We should really hack in new lines.
- That tunnel on Phatt island--we should not have cut between generic tunnels directly. You can see the objects move around! Looks generic!
- @telarium Ohhhhhh that's totally what it was. Yeah, voice and localization made all our fancy string concatenation skills useless.
- Quothe @telarium: Didn't he used to say "Nice [insert name here]!" or something? Maybe they didn't want to record 5,000 extra lines."
- Haha. I'm walking around a guybrush who's stuck on a stool, drinking. Tami, are you on Twitter? If not, I'm blaming that bug on you.
- But if you are on Twitter, then omg, can you believe Dave left that stool bug in?
- All right! One map piece in the bag, and I still haven't had to look up any hints. Brains, don't fail me now!
- Guybrush in a dress looks a lot like Kurt Cobain in a dress for the In Bloom video.
- Special Edition art is pretty, but Elaine is hotter in classic mode.
- The seagull from Loom just stole my map piece! It's hard to be mad at him, though, knowing that he dies in ToMI5.
- Wait, why did they put that Kyle Katarn line in there?
- Upon re-exam: the monkey wrench puzzle was unfair. But I totally found the telescope in classic mode without even looking for it.
- All we had to do was make Guybrush say, "There's no handle. Looks like I need a monkey wrench," when you look at the pump.
- Or, "Looks like I need what the Americans call a 'Monkey Wrench,'" for the overseas versions. :)
- Then, when you look at, or talk to, the monkey at the piano, Guybrush should request a series of waterfall-related songs.
- "Hey Monkey, can you play, '(Don't go chasing) Waterfalls,' by TLC?"
- PS Got both the Booty Island map pieces! I am on monkeyfire!
- Rapp Scallion just coughed up the third map piece. Forgot about how he turns to ash, except for his thumbs-up fist. Oh you Steve Purcell!
- Finally, I have tasted shame. I needed my first MI2:SE hint. Can you guess what it was?
- Getting the Near Grog from Kate. Guybrush should have said about the flyer, "This thing's almost poster-sized."
- Or, "Man, I would have used a different picture. That one makes her look like a shady character." Anyway. I got all the pieces now!
- We should go back and fix this. And while we're in there, replace the swords with walkie-talkies, and make LeChuck shoot root beer first.
- Wait, the Voodoo Lady ships LeChuck voodoo supplies in a crate? Which he presumedly uses to make a voodoo doll of ME? She is my enemy!!!
- Okay, how did that explosion just happen to send me directly to Dinky Island? Why did I bother with that map? Can explosions read maps?
- Actually that part used to make sense until we ran out of time and had to cut the raft with Wally. They should make it now as DLC.
- I totally don't remember this jungle maze on Dinky Island. Tami must have wired that up while I was napping under my desk.
- Wow. This room hopping with LeChuck is super hard to do, even when you know what to do. Which I don't.
- Second, final, shameful hint looked up: the "body" part of the final doll.
- Nice. I forgot how unnecessarily bloody the ending of this game was. Multiple limb dismemberment! Shouldn't this get an M?
- Oh that's right. He's just a Zombie.
- Done! Wait, where are the classic mode credits? With all the activity suggestions? And wait, where is Elaine's epilogue? WTF?
- And now that I think of it, where is the original opening? Most of the SE was awesome, but those are some strange things to cut!
- Haha. We put a plug in the credits for Tom Khun Custom Yo-Yos, hoping they would send us some free yo-yos. But they didn't.
- Okay, Elaine's epilogue plays only in SE mode. In classic mode you just get the weird, not-purple credits. And then a poke in the eye.
- Lots of unreleased concept art in the bonus features! Like that weird, top-down shot of LeChuck's desk.
- And the very first thing Peter Chan ever did for Lucas: His painted version of Marley's kitchen, before he switched to markers.
- Well it's done, and I thought the Special Edition was great, except for those few, bizarre omissions.
- I always thought that M1 was my favorite, but when the skeleton dance started this time around I think M2 pulled ahead. Plus, dismemberment!
Copyright © 1996-2017 The Monkey Island SCUMM Bar. All rights reserved. No part of this web page may be
reproduced in any way.